Goi Ga is chicken salad. The salad recipes and names are different in each region of Vietnam. Ga Xe Phai is popular chicken salad in Mekong Delta. There, people use banana flowers and cabbage, no carrot. Rau ram is required for the aroma and taste of this dish. It is served as side dish for Chao Ga. The best Chao Ga and Ga Xe Phai is in the Mekong Delta, because the soup and salad are cooked from free-run chicken and fresh vegetables.
- Goi Ga – chicken salad from Food for Four
- Quick and easy Goi Ga – My recipe, see below
This is my quick easy version of Goi Ga, Vietnamese chicken salad. Traditional chicken salad, we use shredded boiling chicken. Here, I use chicken rotisserie to save time, and the salad is still tasty.
Easy Goi Ga - Chicken Salad
- A breast of chicken rotisserie, cut into pieces (or shredded boiling chicken)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- Half of cabbage washed and rinsed, thin sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup of Vietnamese herb leaves (mints, tia to (perils leaves)), washed and rinsed, shredded
- Keep some herbs for garnishing
- Some slices of carrot for garnishing
- Chopped roast peanuts (optional)
- Put these ingredients in a jar and mix well: 2T. of lime juice, 2T. of fish sauce (or light soy sauce), 2 T. of sugar, 1tsp of olive oil, 1 tsp. of fine chopped red pepper, 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder (or mashed garlic).
- In small pot, add 1 T. of cooking oil, sauteed onion in medium high until golden. Turn off heat when onion just turn into light yellow.
- In salad bowl, add lettuce, cabbage, carrot, onion oil, herbs and 1/2 of the dressing. Toss salad, taste and add extra dressing if need it.
- Transfer salad into plate, but skip the liquid from salad (a lot of liquid came out from cabbages and carrots after tossing).
- Place chicken on the top of the salad bed. Scatter onion oil and chopped peanuts.
- Garnish the salad with mints, Tia To and carrots.
- Serve with Nuoc Cham dipping.
- Traditional Vietnamese chicken salad, we use shredded chicken. Here, I use chicken rotisserie. We can use sauteed chicken, pork or beef tenderloin.
- The key of this salad is the combination of dressing, herbs , onion oil that make salad tasty.
- We can modify the traditional recipes, to make salads with local fresh vegetables, meat and seafood.
- Keep the remained dressing in refrigerator.
Vietnamese Language Lesson
Goi Ga is chicken salad, where Ga – chicken, Goi – salad