Teochew Porridge is the comfort food for Teochew Chinese people. For breakfast, the rice porridge is served super hot with salty omelet or reserved vegetables.
To make congee, we just cook rice with water, but making Teochew congee is not easy. Requirements for perfect congee: super hot, the cooked rice cannot be broken, and the soup is not too thick or too thin.
My dad wanted perfect Teochew congee, else he would not eat it at all. Here, I show you the easy way to cook this rice soup.
- 1/2 cup jasmine rice, washed and rinse
- 900 ml water (adjust water to your taste)
- Salt (optional)
- In a microwave safe glass or ceramic big bowl, add water and rice. The maximum water level is 1/2 of the bowl height to prevent soup spilling.
- Cook rice soup in the microwave in high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Put the lid on and leave soup in microwave for 20 minutes.
- Warm up the soup in microwave before serving.
- Depend on the kind of rice, you may want to adjust the amount of water.
- If you prefer to cook the rice soup in a pot. First, boil rice and stir for 5 minutes, so rice does not get stuck at the bottom of the pot. Put the lid on and cook for 15-20 minutes in the lowest heat, this step helps the rice cooked but not broken.
- If you want to make Teochew porridge with ground beef (or pork, chicken) or seafood, put some salt into the soup, then add seasoning meat or seafood, black pepper, and green onion later.