“Goi Tom Thit” is Vietnamese savory fragrant salad, made from lettuce, mints, perilla leaves, spicy salad dressing, and topped with sauteed shrimps and white sausage. This salad is served as an appetizer for a weeknight or weekend meal.
This is a quick easy version of Vietnamese shrimp and pork salad. Traditional Vietnamese salad, we use cooked shrimps and pork belly. Here, I use home-made Vietnamese white sausage (cha lua).
Goi Tom - Shrimp Salad
- ½ lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 onion, chopped (for sautéed shrimps)
- ½ lb. cooked white sausage (or Cha Lua), cut into thin slices
- 2 pieces of spicy beef jerky (optional), cut into small and thin slices
- 1 head of romaine or iceberg lettuce, washed and rinsed, shredded
- Half of cabbage washed and rinsed, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup of Vietnamese herb leaves (mints, tia to (perils leaves)), washed and rinsed, shredded (adjust the amount to your taste)
- Keep some herbs for garnishing
- Some slices of carrot for garnishing
- Chopped roast peanuts (optional)
- Put these ingredients in a jar and mix well: 2T. of lime juice, 2T. of fish sauce (or light soy sauce), 2 T. of sugar, 1 tsp. of olive oil, 1 tsp. of Sriracha sauce (or fine chopped red pepper), 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder (or mashed garlic).
- Make sautéed shrimps.
- In salad bowl, add lettuce, cabbage, carrot, herbs. Toss salad with 1/2 of the dressing.
- Transfer salad into plate, but skip the remain liquid.
- Place sautéed shrimp, slices of white sausage, and beef jerky on the top of salad
- Garnish the salad with mints, Tia To and carrots.
- Pour the rest of salad dressing over the salad.
- Serve right away.
- We can use already cooked shrimps from supermarket. But we must have sauteed onion with oil to add more flavor to the salad.
- Traditional Vietnamese salad, we use cooked shrimps and pork belly. Here, I use white sausage or home-made sausage. We can use sautéed chicken, pork or beef tenderloin.
- Best to use “Bo Kho” (Vietnamese spicy beef jerky).
- Use half iceberg lettuce, and half of cabbage and shredded carrot for more texture and colors.