“Cha Ga Chien,” is Vietnamese chicken sausage patties. This light and delicious dish can be served as an appetizer. It also goes well with salad, sandwiches, spring rolls, noodle soups, Banh Cuon. With this recipe, you can make chicken meatballs, and served with Chef Mario Batali’s Tomato Sauce for pasta dishes.
Cha Ga Chien - Vietnamese Chicken Sausage Patties
- 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast (or ground chicken), cut into 2-in chunks, frozen for 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 green onions, white parts only, chopped
1 tsp mushroom powder or poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp of garlic powder (or 2 cloves of garlic, chopped)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp of fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp of salt (adjust the amount to your taste)
- 1 tsp of fish sauce
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- Cooking oil
- Before proceed the next step, make sure chicken frozen for 30 minutes.
- In a food processor, add ingredients of Part 1 and process until everything is finely chopped. Continue to pulse until the chicken is coarsely ground — finer than chopped. If you prefer smooth paste, then continue pulsing few more times.
- Form thin patties.
- Put the oil in a nonstick large skillet or griddle pan over medium heat. Cook patties until the surface nicely golden browned, about 5 minutes on each side, and chicken completely cooked.
- Place chicken sausages on the lettuce bed. Garnish with mints. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Can marinate chicken and frozen it in advance.
- With this recipe, you can make chicken meatballs, served with Chef Mario Batali’s Tomato Sauce.
- Add your favorite cheese, and spices into the chicken paste.
- Fish sauce makes the sausage tasty, but do not put too much.
- Make extra, and freeze the chicken sausage for other dishes like
- Cha Lua Ga – Vietnamese chicken sausage wrapped in banana leaves