This is a quick easy version of Goi Ga, Vietnamese chicken salad.
Traditional chicken salad, we use shredded boiling chicken. Here, I also use chicken rotisserie to save time, and the salad is still very tasty.
Goi Tom - Shrimp Salad
- A breast of boiled chicken or chicken rotisserie, cut into pieces
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- Half of cabbage washed and rinsed, thin sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup of Vietnamese herb leaves (mints, tia to (perils leaves)), washed and rinsed, shredded
- herbs for garnishing
- Some slices of carrot for garnishing
- Chopped roast peanuts (optional)
- Put these ingredients in a jar and mix well: 2T. of lime juice, 2T. of fish sauce (or light soy sauce), 2 T. of sugar, 1tsp of olive oil, 1 tsp. of fine chopped red pepper, 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder (or mashed garlic).
- In small pot, add 1 T. of cooking oil, sauteed onion in medium high until golden. Turn off heat when onion just turn into light yellow.
- Mix chicken with 1 T. of dressing.
- In salad bowl, add lettuce, cabbage, carrot, herbs and 1/2 of the dressing. Toss salad, taste and add extra dressing if need it.
- Transfer salad into plate, but skip the liquid from salad (a lot of liquid came out from cabbages and carrots after tossing).
- Place chicken on the top of the salad bed. Scatter onion oil and chopped peanut on chicken.
- Garnish the salad with mints, Tia To and carrots.
- Serve with Nuoc Cham dipping.
- Traditional Vietnamese chicken salad, we use shredded chicken. Here, I use chicken rotisserie. We can use sauteed chicken, pork or beef tenderloin.
- Keep the remained dressing in refrigerator.