Mi Chay is noodle soup with tofu and vegetables. This is an easy recipe for a delicious vegan noodle soup.
In this recipe, I highlight the freshness and natural sweetness of vegetables, so the cooking time for vegetables is around 15 minutes. It’s best to use the vegetables from your garden or farmer market.
Make 2-3 servings
- 1 box of firm tofu, washed, drained, cut into cubes
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) of vegetable broth
- 1 tsp of mushroom power (optional)
- 4 cups of water
- 1 carrot, peeled, washed, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 daikon, peeled, washed, cut into bite size pieces (optional)
- 4-6 pieces of Napa cabbage, cut into 1-in pieces
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 sprigs of cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of sugar ( best to use rock sugar)
- 1/2 box of spaghetti, cooked (follow instruction from box)
- Cook vegetable. In a microwave safe bowl, add carrot, daikon and 1 cup of vegetable broth, heat it up for 10 minutes. This step is used to speed up the cooking process. The bowl is hot, so handle it carefully.
- Make onion oil. In a skillet, add oil, chopped onion. Cook onion until golden over high heat.
- In a pot, add cooked carrot, daikon, water, vegetable broth, tofu, salt. Bring soup to boil and cook for 5 minutes over high heat.
- Add Napa cabbage, sugar and cook for 3-5 minutes. Cook Napa cabbage the way you like. Taste the soup, add extra salt to your taste.
- Reheat noodles (spaghetti) in microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- In each serving bowl, add some noodles, and 1 tsp of sauteed onion.
- Add soup, tofu, and cooked vegetable to a bowl of noodles.
- Sprinkle cilantro, green onion and ground black pepper.
- Serve hot.
- Here, I use microwave speed up the cooking soup process. You can skip the microwave step and just cook all vegetable and soup in a pot.
- Napa cabbage and daikon enhances the soup flavor.
- Often, we use yellow noodles and rice noodles for Vietnamese noodle soup. Here, I use spaghetti, since it’s easy to buy at any supermarket, noodle soup still tastes good.
- I prefer my soup is super hot. Therefor, I warm up noodles in microwave first, and pour the hot boiling soup in the noodle bowl.
- If use regular sugar, add it into the soup the same time with Napa cabbage. If we cook sugar too long, soup seems to has little sour taste.