Dipping sauce for Nem Nuong spring roll is made different ways for each region of Vietnam. In Tra Vinh, Mekong Delta, Nem Nuong is served with Nuoc Cham (fish sauce, lime, garlic, sugar) or Nuoc Cam Tuong (hoisin sauce and peanut butter). Ninh Hoa, is a famous place for Nem Nuong in central Vietnam, has “gravy” style dipping sauce (hoisin sauce, ground pork, sugar, garlic, red pepper, peanut – source Wikipedia).
Brodard restaurant in southern California, famous for many kinds of spring rolls, specially Nem Nuong rolls served with Ninh Hoa’s dipping sauce, made from pureed liver, ground pork, and shrimp with orange color.
- Ninh Hoa dipping sauce – from The Spices of Life
- Recipe Cam Tuong dipping sauce made of hoisin sauce, peanut butter, by RunAwayRice
- Nuoc Cham – use basic Nuoc Cham dipping sauce then add some peanut butter and few drops of hoisin sauce.
- recipe of Nem Nuong
- Nuoc Cham dipping sauce for nem nuong is tasty and enhances the flavor of nem nuong rolls.
- Ninh Hoa sauce is gravy. Therefore, this sauce can taste bad if you do not have the right combination of all ingredients specially pork and liver and shrimp paste.
- Brodard restaurant – In southern California, famous for many kinds of spring rolls and dipping sauces, specially Nem Nuong rolls.
Thanks for all value feedback that helps us to improve the Vietnamese food guide.
- Forum about Nem Nuong Dipping Sauce from http://portlandfood.org/topic/14280-best-nem-nuong-cuon-in-town/.
Note about Vietnamese cuisine
The 3 main Culinary Cuisines of Vietnam are North, Central, South cuisines. Around 1954, there are major of North, Central Vietnamese immigrated to Saigon, south Vietnam. Saigon became the melting pot, so we have rich regional foods such as “Pho” (north region), Bun Bo Hue (central region), and Hu Tieu (south region).
Large cities in California, Texas, Florida, US, there are big Vietnamese populations. There, we have many regional Vietnamese foods.
In Tra Vinh, and Mekong Delta, food is different from other regions of Vietnam, because food is mixed by French, Chinese, Vietnamese, Khmer cuisines. Our food guides are based on southern Vietnamese cuisines.